The shares finished Monday at $28.02, losing 27%, or $10.13. Volume of 2.8 million was nearly six times the issue's trailing three-month daily average of around 500,000, and the heaviest trading the stock has seen since its August 12 debut.
A recent run-up in the stock amid a rally in the online travel companies after Priceline.com (PCLN) topped Wall Street's earnings expectations for an eighth straight quarter last week may have contributed to the depth of MakeMyTrip's plunge on Monday.
The stock was trading at around $32 before Priceline.com's report on Nov. 8, and it rose in three of the next four sessions leading into the release of its own numbers, getting as high as $39.60 on Friday. Names like Expedia (EXPE), Orbitz Worldwide (OWW) and Ctrip International (CTRP) enjoyed similar run-ups, and all three were down about 3% on Monday.
--Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV