Takeda Looked at Genzyme: Report
TOKYO (TheStreet) -- Takeda Pharmaceutical , Japan's top drugmaker, explored whether it wanted to pursue a possible acquisition of Genzyme (GENZ) but is unlikely to do so, the Wall Street Journal reports, citing people familiar with the matter.
Genzyme has been trying to fend off an $18.5 billion hostile bid from France's Sanofi-Aventis (SNY).
Genzyme said last month it was evaluating alternatives, including reaching out to other companies. The biotechnology company isn't actively soliciting a "white knight" to counter Sanofi's offer, but the board wants thorough information about its value in the market and to know what its options are, the Journal reports.
Takeda officials wouldn't comment for the newspaper.Pfizer (PFE) and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) are among the other firms that are considering whether to pursue Genzyme, people familiar with the matter told the Journal. The process is in the early stages and no decisions are imminent, the people added. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV