United Community Financial Corp. Announces Third Quarter Results
United Community Financial Corp. (Company) (Nasdaq: UCFC), holding company of The Home Savings and Loan Company (Home Savings), today reported a consolidated net loss of $9.9 million, or $(0.32) per diluted share, for the three months ended September 30, 2010. This compares to a net loss of $867,000, or $(0.03) per diluted share, for the three months ended September 30, 2009. The Company also reported a cumulative net loss of $19.9 million, or $(0.66) per diluted share, for the nine months ended September 30, 2010 as compared to a cumulative net loss of $511,000, or $(0.02) per diluted share, for the nine months ended September 30, 2009.
The increased losses in both the third quarter and the nine months ended September 30, 2010 are substantially a result of increases in the provision for loan losses. The increased provision in both time periods is a result of a higher level of chargeoff activity, additional loan downgrades within the commercial real estate portfolio and increased specific reserves assigned to a number of commercial real estate loans.
Selected third quarter results:
- Nonperforming loans reduced $12.4 million to $142.7 million from last quarter
- Nonperforming assets reduced $14.2 million to $183.0 million from last quarter
- Net interest margin improved 12 basis points to 3.42% compared to 3.30% last quarter
- Tier 1 leverage ratio was 8.23%
- Total Risk Based Capital was 13.12%
- Book value per share and tangible book value per share were $6.51 and $6.49, respectively
As previously announced, the Board of Directors of UCFC has approved the appointment of Patrick W. Bevack as the President and Chief Executive Officer of UCFC, in addition to his current role as President and Chief Executive Officer of Home Savings. In accordance with applicable law, UCFC was required to obtain the consent of the Office of Thrift Supervision for this appointment, which the Board is pleased to announce it received on October 19, 2010. Mr. Bevack's appointment will be effective January 1, 2011, following the retirement of Douglas M. McKay on December 31, 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV