Following Amazon's $545 million purchase earlier this week of Quidsi, which operates Diapers.com and Soap.com, we asked readers what other company is most likely on Amazon's radar for an acquisition. According to the poll, 37.6% say Drugstore.com is the most likely buyout.
The online retailer of health, beauty, vision and pharmacy products would be a natural fit in Amazon's own growth of its pharmacy and vitamin business.
Last week Drugstore.com reported third-quarter earnings of $2.4 million, or 2 cents a share, compared with a loss of $1.6 million, or 2 cents, in the year prior. Sales surged 23% to $108.8 million from $88.6 million. Analysts forecast earnings of 3 cents a share on revenue of $108.9 million.Netflix (NFLX) is the second most likely Amazon target, according to 29.8% of voters. The Internet movie rental company has been rumored to be a potential acquisition, but many analysts have predicted that the time has passed for any such deal. Regardless, investors are still holding out hope as Netflix continues to report break-neck growth. Netflix could become more attractive to Amazon as it moves from a DVD-by-mail company into a streaming company. Amazon has been losing out to Apple's (AAPL) iTunes and other competitors in the streaming movies business and the acquisition of a firm with Netflix's caliber could push it ahead of the pack. Blue Nile (NILE) got 20.3% of the vote, while just 12.3% of voters said Amazon will consider OpenTable (OPEN). --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV