US Air, American Pilots Decry Security Measures
The TSA maintains that the level of radiation produced by the scanners is too low to pose a health risk.
In an interview, USAPA spokesman James Ray declared: "My office is six or seven miles about the planet earth, in a greenhouse essentially, and pilots are much more susceptible to cancer, especially skin cancer, than members of the public. A lot of pilots use sun screen in the cockpit.
"While it may be a very low level of radiation that these machines emit, people in the medical field tell us that going through it thousands of times is definitely not a good idea," Ray said. He added that pilots who are inclined to cause injury or damage don't need to carry dangerous items onboard an aircraft.
Nevertheless, he said, the proper way to screen pilots is to use biometrics, retinal scans or some other technique that would assure they are who they say they are.-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV