BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Small-cap stocks are typically high-beta and high-risk. But here are 10 top-ranked small-cap companies that carry more cash than debt on their balance sheets. Excess liquidity ensures that these companies can survive in any economic environment. They rank in the top percentile for expected risk-adjusted return in TheStreet's 5,000+ stock coverage universe. Below, they are ordered by net cash, from plenty to too much.
10. U.S. Physical Therapy (USPH) operates outpatient physical- and occupational-therapy clinics. Its third-quarter profit increased 25% to $3.9 million, or 33 cents a share, as revenue ascended 4.6%. The operating margin widened from 14% to 16%. U.S. Physical Therapy has $9.7 million of cash and $480,000 of debt, converting to a quick ratio of 2.3 and a miniscule debt-to-equity ratio. It trades at a cash flow multiple of 7.4, a 31% discount to the industry average. But, the stock is fairly valued relative to peers based on forward earnings and book value.
Expected Return: TheStreet's quantitative model expects the stock to rise 22% to $23.30.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV