Ascent's decision to pursue a dilutive secondary shouldn't be a surprise to investors. The niche solar company's need for cash has always been an issue, and management has spoken openly about a secondary being an option that might be tapped. A shelf registration has been on file with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Ascent shares dropped by 10%, or 44 cents, in the after-hours session on Wednesday.
Ascent intends to use the proceeds to complete production of its Fab2 solar plant.Wedbush Securities analyst Christine Hersey noted in her recent Ascent Solar third quarter earnings wrap that the company could need to raise additional capital to complete the 30 MW ramp. "While we believe the company is making progress toward reaching full scale commercialization, we recommend investors wait for the company to reach additional manufacturing and sales milestones given the significant execution risk facing the company," the Wedbush analyst wrote. Ascent Solar has 75% of its Fab2 equipment in place. Ascent Solar is the second solar company to announce a dilutive secondary this week, following Chinese solar stock Solarfun Power. -- Written by Eric Rosenbaum from New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV