Encompass Fund’s Go-Anywhere Strategy Continues To Excel In 2010
The Encompass Fund (ENCPX), www.encompassfund.com, a go-anywhere, open-end mutual fund that posted a 137% return in 2009*, continues to outperform this year. The fund gained 22.14% as of October 31, 2010 to rank in the top 1% in Morningstar’s World Stock Fund category out of 830 mutual funds for the year-to-date period ended October 31, 2010. This compares to a 4.72% return for the fund’s Morningstar benchmark, the MSCI EAFE NR USD Index**, and the 9.08% return for the Wilshire 5000 Index***.
The Encompass Fund invests in companies of all sizes, from micro-cap to large cap, in a number of diverse sectors and parts of the world. The managers have emphasized commodity companies since the fund’s inception in June 2006.
Veteran wealth managers Malcolm Gissen and Marshall Berol of Malcolm H. Gissen & Associates, Inc., created the Encompass Fund to provide investors access to typically undiscovered investment opportunities in sectors and companies that promise significant future growth.
“Our strategy is to seek out the truly solid but perhaps little-known companies doing business in places like Mongolia, Burkina Faso, Mali, Turkey, and Cuba,” said Marshall Berol, fund co-manager. “There are also some value plays right here in the US, Canada, and Latin America. Often the fund participates in private offerings and initial public offerings, which gives shareholders access to investments not normally available to them.”As of Oct. 31, 2010, the fund’s top five holdings were:
- Avalon Rare Metals (AVL.TO; AVARF.PK)
- Uranium Energy Corp. (UEC)
- Delcath Systems (DCTH)
- Petrodorado Energy (PDQ.V; PTRDF.PK)
- Avion Gold Corp. (AVR.V; AVGCF.PK)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV