(Solar story updated for Credit Suisse downgrade of solar sector)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Investors are stepping off the gas after a healthy run for the solar sector in the latter part of 2010. Few of the solar supply-chain points have been getting much new investor money as a result of beat-and-raise quarters. Is there a way to play solar on a sector basis as opposed to company-specific basis that might give investors a read into more protected strategies even in a slowing market?
For all the solar company attempts to show that demand and pricing remain stable for the first half of the new year, investors seem content to wait on actual evidence to show up in December. Whether it's an inverter company beating and raising, a module maker, or a solar cell or wafer player benefiting from current pricing strength, doubts persist about 2011.
The latest negative sign for solar in 2011 came courtesy of Credit Suisse on Wednesday morning. Credit Suisse solar analyst Satya Kumar downgraded the solar sector from overweight to market perform. The headline of the Credit Suisse analyst's 2011 solar thesis report said it all: Strong supply growth appears set to overwhelm demand trends.
Vote Now on Solar Stock Picks 2011
|Solar Stocks: What's the Best Defense in 2011?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV