Arden Group's 3Q Net Income Drops 26 Percent
LOS ANGELES (AP) â¿¿ Arden Group Inc., the parent of Southern California supermarket chain Gelson's Markets, said Wednesday that its third quarter net income plunged 26 percent, as the economy and competition hurt sales.
The company earned $3.5 million, or $1.09 per share, in the three months that ended Oct. 2. That compares to net income of $4.7 million, or $1.48 per share, in the same quarter of 2009. Revenue fell 3 percent to $100.3 million.
Sales at stores open at least a year, considered a key indicator of a retailer's financial health fell, 3.3 percent in the quarter. Grocers across the industry have been struggling with price cuts by competitor Wal-Mart Stores Inc., along with high unemployment and a weak housing market.
Shares of Arden climbed 5 percent, or $4.56, to $93 in Wednesday afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV