Arden Group's 3Q Net Income Drops 26 Percent
LOS ANGELES (AP) â¿¿ Arden Group Inc., the parent of Southern California supermarket chain Gelson's Markets, said Wednesday that its third quarter net income plunged 26 percent, as the economy and competition hurt sales.
The company earned $3.5 million, or $1.09 per share, in the three months that ended Oct. 2. That compares to net income of $4.7 million, or $1.48 per share, in the same quarter of 2009. Revenue fell 3 percent to $100.3 million.
Sales at stores open at least a year, considered a key indicator of a retailer's financial health fell, 3.3 percent in the quarter. Grocers across the industry have been struggling with price cuts by competitor Wal-Mart Stores Inc., along with high unemployment and a weak housing market.
Shares of Arden climbed 5 percent, or $4.56, to $93 in Wednesday afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV