NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Cathie Black, the chairwoman of Hearst Magazines, is tackling a new challenge: Running the New York City public school system.
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced the appointment of Black to the chancellor post on Tuesday. She replaces Joel Klein, who served in the position for the past eight years. Klein is leaving to become an executive vice president with News Corp. (NWS).
"Cathie Black is a superstar manager who has succeeded in spectacular in the private sector," Bloomberg said in a press release. "She is brilliant, she is innovative, she is driven - and there is virtually nobody who knows more about the needs of the 21st century workforce for which we need to prepare our kids."
Black is widely credited with turning around USA Today, where she served as president and publisher for nine years, starting in 1983."Our schools are vastly better than they were just 8 years ago when the Mayor took office and Chancellor Klein joined his Administration," Black said in the release. "Their passion for improving the educational opportunities of our students has lifted the bar higher than anyone could ever have imagined, and my main goal will be to build on the work that has been accomplished during the Bloomberg Administration, and Chancellor Klein's tenure." She is a graduate of Trinity College, Washington, D.C., and holds nine honorary degrees, the Mayor's Office said. --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV