BOSTON (TheStreet) -- With QE2 likely to buoy the stock market through year-end, investors should seek undervalued stocks. Here are 10 of the cheapest S&P 500 stocks based on forward earnings multiples. Below, they are ordered from cheap to cheapest.
10. SLM Corp. (SLM) provides education finance.
SLM swung to a third-quarter loss of $495 million, or $1.07 a share, as revenue gained 6.1% to $1.7 billion. The operating margin narrowed from 61% to 60%. SLM's stock trades at a forward earnings multiple of 8.1, a book value multiple of 1.3 and a sales multiple of 0.9, 41%, 45% and 41% discounts to consumer finance industry averages. Of analysts covering SLM, seven advise purchasing its shares and three recommend holding them. None suggest selling. A median target of $16 implies 27% upside.
Bullish Scenario: FBR Capital Markets predicts that SLM's stock will advance 52% to $19.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV