(Chevon, Atlas Energy, natural gas M&A story updated for BMO Capital comments)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- You know the drill: a major oil company buys an independent natural gas producer and the proverbial M&A floodgates are set to open in the energy M&A game.
Indeed, the energy market is abuzz with M&A chatter after Chevron (CVX) announced its $4.3 billion purchase of Atlas Energy (ATLS) on Tuesday. The usual suspects among the independent natural gas stock plays have rallied on Tuesday and experienced heavy trading volume, among them, Range Resources (RRC), Cabot Oil & Gas (COG), and EQT Corporation (EQT).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV