NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stocks are once again trading near their pre-Lehman Brothers highs. But the journey in the last two years for investors has been anything but smooth. Volatility has increased significantly and even large-caps have not proved safe from sudden sharp downward swings.
TheStreet presents ten of the most volatile large-cap stocks so far in 2010. Volatility is calculated on a historical basis as the standard deviation from average daily logarithmic price changes using Bloomberg data. In other words, these are the stocks that have departed the most from their average price on a daily basis in 2010.
For long-term investors, these stocks may not be appropriate for a buy and hold, forget-about-it approach and may require more active monitoring. Traders may be more interested in the implied volatility of these stocks which are more forward looking, but many of these stocks are likely to remain in the volatility radar.
The stocks are ranked from the least to the most volatile, according to data from Bloomberg.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV