Microsoft Windows Phone 7 story updated with comment from T-Mobile and stock movement.
Even with a glitzy media intro last month hosted by champion inside-seller and company chief Steve Ballmer, Microsoft, which spent a reported $100 million on the phone's advertising campaign, sold a mere 40,000 Windows 7 phones Monday, according to a market research source who tracks phone sales.
The anemic sales number does not include the 89,000 Microsoft employees that will be given free Windows 7 phones.Microsoft reps declined to comment. A T-Mobile spokeswoman did not offer a number of phones sold, but said Tuesday that the Win7 phone was "already receiving strong interest from our customers right out of the gate." Trounced by Apple's (AAPL) iPhone and the rise of Google's (GOOG) Android phones, Microsoft ditched its Windows Mobile software and engineered Windows Phone 7 to get a crucial restart in the mobile market. Windows Phone 7 is a make-or-break moment in smartphones as the leaders threaten to run off with the market. So how does 40,000 Window 7 phones measure up? Google said last month that it was selling 200,000 Android phones a day. And Apple has said that its iPhone sales rate was 270,000 a day.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: email@example.com. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/MoritzDispatch. >To send a tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV