NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- At an event that included no rappers, fireworks or impressive hardware, Samsung unveiled its new Continuum Google (GOOG) Android-based smartphone at a low-key event in Times Square Monday.
The phone, which will be available at Verizon (VZ) later this week, is the newest member of the Galaxy S family that already includes the Fascinate, Vibrant, Captivate and Epic 4G. The Galaxy S series, launched over the summer, has helped propel Samsung into the smartphone limelight against competitors like Apple (AAPL) and Research In Motion (RIMM).
The Continuum's big distinguisher is a 1.8-inch super-AMOLED ticker display that streams information in real time. The ticker can be used to display information like news, social networking and entertainment feeds instantly, with a slight touch at the phone's "grip sensor" on its lower sides.
The phone, which will sell for $200 after a mail-in rebate, also features a 3.4-inch super-AMOLED touchscreen. The Continuum is designed for consumers "who want to have something cool and totally unique," Nick DiCarlo, director of product planning for Samsung, told TheStreet. "It's for people who are super connected and constantly checking their phones. Twitter was almost designed for this phone."While the Continuum hardly seems like a mega hit for Samsung, it marks a continuation of the firm's next-generation mobile device onslaught. Samsung, the world's second-largest mobile phone vendor, saw its smartphone shipments more than double last quarter and has shipped 3 million Galaxy S smartphones in the U.S. since the line was launched over the summer, Paul Golden, Samsung's chief marketing officer, said. Samsung raised its 2010 shipment outlook of smartphones from 18 million to 25 million. Read on for a refresh of Samsung's recent Galaxy hits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV