MGP Ingredients, Inc. Announces FY 2011 First Quarter Results
- Company reports Q1 diluted earnings of $0.28 per share vs. year-ago earnings of $0.23 per share
- Total sales increase of 13 percent driven mainly by food grade alcohol
- Company strengthens sales, product innovation and customer-facing teams
ATCHISON, Kan., Nov. 9, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- MGP Ingredients, Inc. (Nasdaq:MGPI) today reported net income of $5,002,000, or $0.28 in diluted earnings per share, for the first quarter of fiscal 2011, which ended September 30, 2010. This compares with net income of $3,738,000, or $0.23 in diluted earnings per share, for the first quarter of fiscal 2010. Total sales in the first quarter were $56,978,000, a 13 percent increase from sales of $50,249,000 for the same period one year ago. The increase was principally due to higher sales of food grade alcohol, with positive contributions from the Company's joint venture distillery operations.
"We are pleased to report another quarter of solid profitability in both of our key segments, including a strong performance from our Illinois Corn Processing, LLC (ICP), joint venture in Pekin, Illinois," said Tim Newkirk, president and chief executive officer. "On the distillery side, we are seeing better demand for high quality food grade industrial alcohol. At the same time, ICP is approaching normalized volumes following start-up last fiscal year. Our focus in this segment is on maintaining gross margin in the face of rising input costs. While we can expect some quarterly variation in distillery sales due to demand cycles and other factors, the general trend is positive and gross margin remains above target."Newkirk continued, "The ingredients segment continues to make very good progress despite plant interruptions to effect capital investments to support growth. We are especially encouraged by growing demand for our unique fiber and textured wheat protein platforms. I also want to point out that our first quarter SG&A expenses included costs related to our incentive plans, as well as the added expense of rolling out our new business information system. Costs were also affected by the use of outside resources to design and implement supply chain and operating efficiency improvements. While our investments in generating future revenues have a short-term impact on profits, these are critical moves to help capture our full market opportunity."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV