Nature's Sunshine Products Reports Third Quarter Results
Segment Analysis for the Third Quarter
For NSP U.S., net sales revenue decreased by 6.3 percent to $35.2 million, compared with $37.6 million in the same quarter a year ago. Operating income decreased by 5.9 percent to $2.3 million, compared to $2.4 million for the same quarter a year ago. The decrease in sales was caused, in part, by changes in our promotional programs, the timing of event qualification periods (contributing to lower sales compared to the same period a year ago), as well as continuing weakness in the U.S. economy. Operating expenses decreased by 6.4 percent.
For NSP International, net sales revenue decreased by 1.1 percent to $32.6 million, compared to $33.0 million in the same quarter a year ago. In local currencies, net sales revenue increased by 2.1 percent, compared to the same quarter a year ago. Net sales revenue benefited from growth in several key markets, as well as the effect of the weakening U.S. dollar overall and its positive impact on consumer demand in many of the markets in which we operate. These improvements, however, were offset by the devaluation of Venezuela's currency in the first quarter of 2010 and its effect on reported net sales for the current quarter. Operating income decreased to $0.8 million, compared to $4.1 million in the same quarter a year ago. The decline was caused by an increase in VAT charges in our Mexico business, increased transfer pricing in most markets, and changes in volume incentive rates.
Among NSP International's markets:
- Net sales revenue in the Russian markets increased by 8.3 percent to $12.5 million, compared to $11.5 million in the same quarter a year ago. This improvement was due, in part, to improved Manager and Distributor recruiting efforts, an improving local economy, and a slight weakening of the U.S. dollar in relation to the various currencies in this market, which modestly reduced the price of our products. The strength of our Russian distributor network and leaders, and the launch of new products helped maintain positive momentum in this market.
- Net sales revenue in Venezuela decreased 50.0 percent to $1.7 million, compared to $3.4 million in the same quarter a year ago, as the result of the devaluation of the bolivar. In January of this year, the official exchange rate for bolivars changed from 2.15 bolivars per U.S. dollar to 4.30 bolivars per U.S. dollar for all products other than essential goods.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV