Ambac Files for Bankruptcy
The monoline insurer filed for bankruptcy in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. As of June 30, 2010, Ambac had debt of $1,622 million, according to a company statement.
Last week the company warned the board that it was declining to make an interest payment on the company's debt due November 15 .
Earlier this year, TheStreet explored what form a prepackaged bankruptcy may take in case Ambac explored that option.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV