NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As technology companies continue to generate and hoard cash, some, like Amazon (AMZN), are looking at acquiring others to broaden offerings paving the road to prosperity for the Internet HOLDRs (HHH), the Retail HOLDRs (RTH), and the PowerShares NASDAQ Internet (PNQI) exchange-traded funds.
Amazon, which was sitting on cash and short-term securities of $5.9 billion at the end of September, has reached an agreement to buy Quidsi, owner of Diapers.com and Soap.com. Furthermore, the Seattle based online retailer recently bought Woot.com, a site that offers a daily discounted item and has agreed to purchase BuyVIP, a fashion site, which will expand its presence in Europe.
The acquisition of Quidsi will allow Amazon to penetrate a market of parents who have young children that use diapers and offers the ability to have this necessity delivered directly to the consumers' front door. Additionally, the acquisition will take out a competitor in the e-commerce space making Amazon that much stronger.
At the end of the day, it appears that Amazon is utilizing its cash reserves to acquire firms, lessen competition, strengthen its market share in the e-commerce space and compete with retail giants Wal-Mart (WMT) and Target (TGT).Here are the ways to play Amazon:
- Internet HOLDRs allocates 40.23% of its assets to Amazon, while also giving ample exposure to eBay (EBAY) and Yahoo! (YHOO);
- Retail HOLDRs allocates 11.44% of its assets to Amazon and also includes Wal-Mart and Target in its top holdings;
- PowerShares NASDAQ Internet allocates 8.65% of its assets to Amazon and gives ample exposure to Google (GOOG) and Chinese Internet search engine giant Baidu (BIDU).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV