Silver is also shining along with gold as a "cheaper" hard currency. Prices have rallied to 30-year highs settling up 68 cents to $27.43 while copper was flat at $3.95.
Both metals were stronger after the Labor Department said Friday that 151,000 jobs were added in October, which was better than expected. The news along with strong corporate earnings have painted a modestly optimistic picture of a global economic recovery, which means more demand for industrial metals.
Gold mining stocks, a risky but profitable way to buy gold, were rising Monday. Freeport McMoRan Copper & Gold (FCX) was up 0.27% to $105.10 while Yamana Gold (AUY) was 0.94% higher at $11.82. Other gold stocks New Gold (NGD) and Gold Fields (GFI) were trading at $8.70and $17.10, respectively.
|More on Gold Gold Price News|
|How to Invest in Gold|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alix Steel. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adsteel. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV