Stock Influx: Weekend Reading
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Good Sunday afternoon, and welcome to another edition of Weekend Reading. First a look back at the week that just finished, then a look forward at the week ahead and, lastly, a summary of articles and papers worth reading.
It was yet another good week for the major markets. The combination of QE2 and solid earnings proved to be a positive one, driving the major U.S. stock indices higher and further lifting commodities. The S&P 500 gained 3.1%, while the Dow gained 2.3% and the Nasdaq gained 2.5%. Cotton and sugar soared on the week, gaining 14% and 9%, respectively.
Looking ahead, cash and bonds look even worse than usual, and equities still don't look awful, so it is easy to imagine a continuing influx of money into stocks. At the same time, gold will almost certainly do well, as will oil, in part because of a weakening dollar.
Turning to economic indicators, we'll get a look at wholesale inventories Tuesday, jobless claims on Wednesday (released a day early because Thursday is Veterans Day, a government holiday) and the University of Michigan consumer sentiment index on Friday.As for earnings, next week will bring reports from Macy's (M), Sara Lee (SLE), Nvidia (NVDA), Kohl's (KSS) and Agilent (A). > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV