Wenzlick also pays attention to a company's drug-approval track record. "Has the drug or the company been through the FDA before? Do they have approved drugs? Has the drug already received a complete response letter in the past," he adds.
Sitting right behind our three winners is a group of contestants with fantastic 9-2 records that also deserve praise.
PatrickM, BigHerm, IcyBling01, BarcaBoy, BioGuy, Walter, Tosincom, BioBelle and RJMCanoe -- congratulations, all!
The contest's booby prize goes to NS, who managed just two correct drug-approval predictions. Better luck next time, NS.As for me, I finished with respectable but middle-of-the-pack 7-4 record. My biggest mistake was under-estimating the efficiency of the FDA. I guessed "no decision" for both Hospira and Alexza, thinking that FDA would have to kick some of these drug approval decisions down the road given the agency's heavy workload this month. Turns out FDA did its job and either approved or rejected every drug in October. Perhaps that's the biggest surprise of the entire contest! I'd like to extend a sincere thanks to all the readers who participated in the contest. I don't know if we learned anything, but I hope this was fun for those who entered or just watched from the sidelines. If anyone has suggestions for future reader contests, please drop me an email or post a comment below this story. Thanks again! --Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV