Updated with Sprint's plan to avoid impact from a potential Clearwire collapse.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Clearwire (CLWR) has failed to get its partners Sprint (S), Comcast (CMCSA), TimeWarner Cable (TWC), Intel (INTC) and Google (GOOG) to invest more money in its network expansion bid and now says it is cutting staff, delaying new market launches and looking for alternate sources of funding.
With a 54% stake in Clearwire, Sprint shares took a 3% hit on concerns that if Clearwire goes belly up, Sprint's standing with its lenders may suffer. As a result, Sprint indicated in a federal filing Friday that it could "take certain actions, at its own discretion and control, which would eliminate the potential for Clearwire to be considered a subsidiary of Sprint."
You sort of knew this day was coming for Clearwire.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: email@example.com. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/TheStreet_Tech. >To send a tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV