Washington Post's cable television revenue dropped slightly to $188.7 million, from $189.6 million. This decrease was more than offset by strong gains across the company's other segments.
For the nine months ended October 3, earnings surged to $198.2 million, or $21.75 a share, compared with earnings of $10.1 million, or $1.08 a share, in the same period a year ago.
Revenue rose 10.4% to $3.53 billion from $3.2 billion due to improved revenue at all of the company's divisions for the first nine months of 2010.
Education division revenue increased 14% to 2.2 billion from $1.93 billion. Kaplan Higher Education revenue and operating income grew due to an 8% increase in enrollment growth to 112.1 million from 103.8 million, as well as improved student retention.Revenue from its newspaper publishing segment was up 1% to $491.9 million from $485.9 million. Its 3% decrease in print advertising revenue at The Washington Post, due to reductions in retail and classified advertising, was more than offset by the 14% gain in newspaper online revenues. Cable television revenue increased 2% for the first nine months of 2010 to $568.6 million from $559.8 million due to growth in the division's cable modem and telephone revenues. Cable division operating income increased 4% to $126.6 million from $122.1 million due to the division's revenue growth, offset by increased technical and sales costs. -- Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Theresa McCabe. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @TheresaMcCabe. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV