CHICAGO ( TheStreet) -- Here's something new for the celebrity who has everything.
Oprah Winfrey is getting a United (UAL) Boeing 757 named and decorated in her honor.
The plane, unveiled Tuesday, is called the "Oprah Winfrey Show Farewell Season Plane." It is newly painted, form nose to tail, with images from Oprah's last season. The interior is also specially decorated. And passengers will see an onboard video welcome from Oprah.
You may have missed the inaugural flight on Tuesday -- if so, we're sorry. Every passenger was given a specially-monogrammed 'Oprah 25' fleece blanket. This is particularly cool because some airlines now charge for blankets.Even if you missed the blanket giveaway, you may still get to ride on the aircraft. It will fly domestically through May 2011. We should mention that United Senior Vice President Mark Bergsrud said, in a prepared statement, that "this unique plane represents the global reach of two great Chicago icons." Oprah is right up there with Ernie Banks, Barack Obama and Carl Sandburg. OK, she is probably way ahead of them all. Although we certainly believe that an Ernie Banks plane would be a hit! Anyway, in the emerging world of airline celebrity aircraft interface, we cannot figure out whether Oprah tops Taylor Swift, who last month gave concerts on a JetBlue (JBLU) flight and in the JetBlue terminal at New York's Kennedy International Airport. Oprah, do you have any plans to do an inflight show from this aircraft? Let us know. Our contact info follows. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV