NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. wind power company Broadwind Energy (BWEN) has been talking about a soon reaching a trough in the wind market since the beginning of the year, and the trough continued in the third quarter. Broadwind's earnings per share loss of 8 cents in the third quarter was one cent more than the Street expected, and revenue of $38.2 million was below the Street consensus by $4 million.
Broadwind revenue declined 36% from $59.5 million from the third quarter last year, and in line with the overall decline in the U.S. wind industry. According to the American Wind Energy Association, capacity additions during the third quarter of 2010 totaled 395 megawatts, 75% below the comparable 2009 period.
Broadwind was able to reduce selling, general and administrative expenses by 11% due to cost-containment efforts in the weak environment.Broadwind revenue guidance for the fourth quarter was in line with the Street, at $50 million. Broadwind CEO Cameron Drecoll tried to show the light at the end of the wind tunnel, stating in the earnings release, "During the third quarter, we continued to improve our financial results quarter-over-quarter. With projected Q4 revenues approaching $50 million, we will end the year with strong results and an improved cash position.... We continue to believe that Broadwind will be well prepared to meet customer demand as the industry regains momentum." Broadwind added $27 million to its backlog in the third quarter, or approximately 71% of revenue, but it was still modestly lower than backlog at the third quarter 2009. Broadwind, which has already declined by 75% this year, was down by more than 5% on Friday morning after its latest miss. -- Written by Eric Rosenbaum from New York.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV