BOSTON (TheStreet) -- With the Federal Reserve blessing riskier assets through QE2, investors are seeking cheap stocks that can offer downside protection if the economy worsens. Here are 10 large-cap companies with net liquidity positions, meaning they have more cash than debt. No matter the industry, cash is king. Companies with excess cash can boost dividends, buy back shares or purchase competitors, rewarding shareholders.
Below, the companies are ordered by net cash balance, from plenty to too much.
10. Stryker (SYK) is a medical-technology company, making orthopedic implants and surgical equipment. Its third-quarter profit surged 47% to $338 million, or 85 cents a share, as revenue grew 6.9% to $1.8 billion. The operating margin widened from 23% to 27%. Stryker's stock trades at a forward earnings multiple of 14, a book value multiple of 2.8, 26% and 34% discounts to health care peer averages. It pays a 1.2% dividend yield with a payout ratio of 19%. Roughly 58% of analysts covering Stryker rate its stock "buy" and the remainder rank it "hold."
Bullish Scenario: Piper Jaffray (PJC) offers a $59 target, suggesting a 12-month return of 14%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV