Terra Nitrogen Company, L.P. Reports Third Quarter Results And Announces Cash Distribution
Terra Nitrogen Company, L.P. (TNCLP) (NYSE: TNH) reported net earnings of $35.2 million on revenues of $136.0 million for the third quarter ended September 30, 2010. This compares to net earnings of $17.3 million on revenues of $101.5 million for the 2009 third quarter. Net income allocable to Common Units was $25.9 million ($1.40 per Common Unit) and $11.9 million ($0.64 per Common Unit) for the 2010 and 2009 third quarters, respectively.
Results for the third quarter of 2010 included an unrealized mark-to-market loss on natural gas derivatives of $7.2 million. Prior to the second quarter of 2010, results were not subject to mark-to-market adjustments because TNCLP employed hedge accounting. The company discontinued hedge accounting in the second quarter of 2010, but had no related adjustments in that period.
For the first nine months of 2010, TNCLP reported net earnings of $135.8 million on revenues of $421.7 million. This compares to net earnings of $121.4 million on revenues of $409.6 million for the first nine months of 2009. Net income allocable to Common Units was $99.9 million ($5.40 per Common Unit) and $77.4 million ($4.18 per Common Unit) for the first nine months of 2010 and 2009, respectively.
Analysis of ResultsRevenues for the 2010 third quarter totaled $136.0 million, compared to revenues of $101.5 million for the 2009 third quarter. This increase was due to higher ammonia and urea ammonium nitrate (UAN) selling prices and higher ammonia sales volume, offset partially by lower UAN sales volume. From the 2009 to the 2010 third quarter, TNCLP’s:
- Ammonia and UAN selling prices increased by 47 and 33 percent, respectively.
- Ammonia sales volume increased by 50 percent and UAN sales volume decreased by 6 percent.
- Realized natural gas unit costs increased by 22 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV