Developments: For the third quarter ended September, the company reported a 3.4% increase in net profit to $1.03 billion. Policy claim reserves were up 26%, while investment income was down 4%. During the first nine months, net income was up 6.3%, while total insurance premiums for the same period jumped 15.9%, as compared to the year-ago period.
The company estimates a positive fourth quarter and upcoming years, driven by the recent interest rate hike. The unexpected hike in interest rate to 5.56% in China, after four years, is likely to boost insurance companies' returns in the upcoming quarters as yields on bond investments increase.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV