BOE Holds Steady on Rates, QE
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Bank of England on Thursday said it will stand pat on interest rates and hold off on its quantitative easing program as economic data revealed that the pace of economic recovery wasn't declining as quickly as many had thought.
The BOE held interest rates at the record low of 0.5% and said it would not increase its bond purchase plan from 200 billion pounds ($324 billion). The news came as no surprise to any of the 63 analysts polled by Reuters.
The decision came after surprisingly strong economic data out the U.K. that signaled momentum in the manufacturing and service sector.
Still, analysts believe the Bank of England may decide to inject economic stimulus later, perhaps in February, against the backdrop of greater government spending reductions.The decision comes a day after the U.S. Federal Reserve announced plans to purchase $600 billion in in long-term Treasuries until the end of June 2011, compared to the $500 billion that the market was expecting. -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV