ATLANTA ( TheStreet) -- Hours after losing a representation election at Delta (DAL), the Association of Flight Attendants charged that the carrier intimidated workers in violation of federal labor law and said it wants a re-run.
Delta conducted "the largest anti-union campaign that this country has ever seen," said AFA President Pat Friend, on a conference call with reporters. "The amount of intimidation that these
"When you have a corporation willing to spend any amount necessary, millions and millions, to prevent or persuade their workers to vote against having a voice in the workplace, it's not a level playing field," Friend said.
Within a few weeks, the union will seek an investigation of the election by the National Mediation Board, said AFA attorney Ed Gilmartin. That investigation could take a few months. If the union's charges are validated, another election would follow.Gilmartin said that the union complained about Delta's tactics during the election, but the NMB's normal procedure is to wait until after an election to investigate. Turnout for the election was an extraordinarily high 94%. In Delta's favor, 9.544 flight attendants voted for no representation. In the AFA's favor, 9,216 voted for representation. Of those, 8,778 voted for the AFA, while 438 wrote in the names of a variety of airline unions; several even wrote in "AFA." Friend said all of the pro-representation votes were allocated to the union getting the most votes, so that Delta flight attendants "came within 328 votes of certifying a union." Many observers had
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV