McCann said CEOs and business leaders across all industries would benefit a great deal from going undercover at their organizations. Given the chance, he said, he'd do it again. "I would enjoy being a part of the floral retail shop again. It gives me the opportunity to engage with the customers and see the smiles first hand that we help deliver every day."
Since first appearing on the show, McCann has sent out a number of his managers to visit company shops. They all came back with all sorts of insights. "It is extremely important and undeniably valuable," McCann said, "to experience the front line and fully understand what it takes to get the job done."
As for the impact of actually being on the show, McCann said, seeing an improvement in the company's stock price was an added bonus. 1-800-Flowers' stock saw a jump of about 6% on April 12, the day after the episode aired. "We believe the increase to the stock price was due to the heightened visibility of the brand," McCann said. "Our shareholders were excited about our Undercover Boss segment and they shared in our enthusiasm to bring consumers behind the scenes."
Now on its second season, Undercover Boss has featured more publicly listed companies. New participants include executives of Chiquita (CQB), Frontier Airlines (FRNT), DirecTV (DTV), Great Wolf Resorts (WOLF) and Choice Hotels (CHH).Aside from 1-800-Flowers, last season's episodes featured executives from Waste Management (WM), Hooters of America, 7-Eleven, White Castle, GSI Commerce (GSIC), Herschend Family Entertainment, Roto-Rooter and Churchill Downs (CHDN). McCann, together with the executives from the first season of the show, are featured in a new book,
-- Written by Marilen Cawad in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Marilen Cawad. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/marilencawad. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV