WHAT YOU GET
This is a damn good mobile business phone for a reasonable price.
It takes some getting used to -- wandering into Wal-Mart to buy a business phone. But what a revelation. There's none of the usual cell phone mumbo-jumbo. No salesperson or number to take. Just find the racks with mobile phones and pick out what you want. Quillan was adamant that a full-on smart phone such as the N71 -- which, by the way, I like -- was unnecessary for average business communication. So we bought a Samsung T401G for $100.
Even this basic phone showed a real small-business upside. It had a perfectly good camera, QWERTY keyboard, cramped but reasonable screen and decent Web access. Customer service was phone-based -- don't bother stopping into Wal-Mart looking for a phone expert -- but solid. In about an hour we had a perfectly professional business phone with a unique number, high-quality voice calling and texting capability.
For basic business communications, the Straight Talk was more than adequate.WHAT YOU DON'T GET
Straight Talk offers limited phone selection, none of the bells and whistles of business telephony and no white-glove service. For all of the service's upside, this is still Wal-Mart service. You are on your own. And while the Nokia N71 is not a bad phone, it is no Droid or iPhone. Mobile business tools, such as those from Salesforce.com (CRM) and Netsuite's (N) mobile tools, are beyond this service, at least for now. BOTTOM LINE
For basic telephony for smaller firms, there's no reason not to try Straight Talk. It's easy, fast and lets you get a decent-quality phone in your people's hands. Just don't ask it to be a legit smartphone with all the attendant apps and fancy features. Need to communicate with your people fast? Get to Wal-Mart, buy a Straight Talk phone and thank me later. It really works. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV