GM story updated with IPO details.
DETROIT (TheStreet) -- General Motors said Wednesday that it will post a third-quarter profit and that it has commenced an initial public offering of 365 million shares of common stock priced at $26 to $29 each.
The value of the offering of common and preferred shares could exceed $13 billion, making it one of the largest IPOs in history.
The U.S. Treasury would sell at least 263.5 million shares, reducing its share of the company to 41% of the common stock, down from its current 61%. The 60 million shares of preferred stock would sell for $50 each; GM would retain those proceeds.The offering would value GM at about $41 billion. That is less than Ford (F), which has a market capitalization of about $52 billion following Wednesday's close. For taxpayers to break even on federal loans to GM, the company would have to be valued around $70 billion. GM, which earlier said that October sales rose 3.5%, said it will report net income attributable to common stockholders between $1.9 billion and $2.1 billion on revenue of $34 billion. Earnings before interest and tax will total $2.2 billion to $2.4 billion. Additional details will follow next week, when the automaker releases its third-quarter earnings report before the bell on Nov. 10. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV