It's still too close to call the outcome of the vote for a casino in Oxford County, Maine. As of Wednesday morning, with more than three-quarters of Maine's precincts reporting, neither side was ready to claim victory.
Maine residents have voted on about six casino initiatives over the past decade, with just one passing. The only initiative that passed was in 2003, which allowed for the creation of a slots parlor adjacent to an affiliated racetrack. This is currently Penn National's Hollywood Bangor facility.
If the Oxford casino is passed it would, most certainly, be a surprise win.Penn has been one of the biggest opponents of the initiative, helping to finance Citizens Against the Oxford County Casino. The casino in Oxford would be 120 miles away from its Bangor property, and Santarelli predicts it would be a competitive threat, especially in the spring and summer months. If passed, however, it would allow up to 2,500 slots in the state, and be a positive for equipment manufactures, Santarelli wrote. "Should table games be permitted, we see a scenario in which Penn National Gaming could benefit from the proposal should it be able to also get table game approvals in time," he continued.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV