(Article on the impact of the elections on casino stocks updated with comments from MGM CEO Jim Mullen on the re-election of Reid.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Casino stocks were brought to the polls yesterday, with several gaming measures put up for a vote.
Oregon, Maine, Maryland, California and Missouri were among the states seeking approval for the development of new casinos. Amid the economic downturn, states are seeking new sources of revenue, which has led to looking at gaming for a boost.
In Nevada, there was significant interest in the battle between U.S. Sen. Harry Reid and tea party candidate Sharron Angle. Reid, who has been a friend to the casinos, won the election.
Reid aided MGM Resorts (MGM) in its development of its $8.4 billion CityCenter resort/casino. MGM CEO Jim Murren commented about Reid's re-election during the company's third-quarter conference call."I know what he means to the gaming sector," Murren said. "The Internet gaming bill has a better chance now. This was a positive for the whole industry today. He understands the gaming industry, having served as chairman of the Nevada Gaming Commission. Overall, the big winners at the polls were WMS Industries (WMS), Bally Technologies (BYI), International Game Technology (IGT) and Isle of Capri Casinos (ISLE), and to a lesser extent, Pinnacle Entertainment (PNK)and Ameristar Casinos (ASCA), Wells Fargo analyst Carlo Santarelli, wrote in a note. Read on for a breakdown of the ballot initiatives voted on and how they will affect casino stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV