Lincoln Educational Services Corporation Reports Third Quarter Results
WEST ORANGE, N.J., Nov. 3, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Lincoln Educational Services Corporation (Nasdaq:LINC) (Lincoln), a leading provider of diversified career-oriented post-secondary education, today reported third quarter results.
Third Quarter 2010 Highlights
- Revenue grew 12.7 percent to $167.2 million from $148.4 million in the prior-year quarter.
- Operating income rose 34.1 percent; operating profit margin improved to 19.4 percent from 16.3 percent in the prior-year quarter.
- Diluted earnings per share grew 52.0 percent to $0.76. Diluted earnings per share included $0.05 from stock repurchases during the quarter.
- Average student population rose 10.6 percent.
- Student starts were down 8.8 percent in part impacted by actions to raise outcomes.
Comment"We are very pleased with our third quarter performance which produced record revenues, margins and earnings per share," said Shaun McAlmont, Lincoln's President and Chief Executive Officer. "During the third quarter, we repurchased approximately $47 million of our common stock as we continue to evaluate ways to increase shareholder value. In recognition of the strong cash flows Lincoln generates and due to the confidence we have in our business, our Board of Directors has authorized a new annual dividend of $1 per share, to be paid quarterly. Both actions reflect our continued commitment to deliver value to our shareholders." "Lincoln remains steadfast in fulfilling its mission of ensuring that each and every student has the opportunity to receive the highest possible return on his or her educational investment. We are managing the company based on the assumption that some version of the Department of Education's proposed regulations will be enacted in 2011. While we believe that these rules will have an impact on our profitability, at this time, we do not believe that their enactment will pose a significant threat to our overall educational model, as the majority of our campuses offer programs that are short in length, incur manageable debt levels and lead to viable technical careers. Based on what we know today, our analysis of the potential impact of these regulations on our model has led us to take the following actions:
- We are managing the business in order to reduce the number of Ability to Benefit students ("ATB"), so that they account for no more than 10 percent of our overall population in order to improve overall graduation, default and repayment rates.
- We are making adjustments to some of our programs in order to reduce student debt and improve related debt to income ratios.
- We will be implementing programs designed to improve student graduation rates over the coming quarters. In addition, overall company goals and accountability for all layers of management will be further tied directly to our students' outcomes.
- We will continue to pursue our growth initiatives, including online programs, program expansions, new campuses, and attractive acquisition opportunities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV