Greenlight Re Announces Third Quarter 2010 Financial Results
GRAND CAYMAN, Cayman Islands, Nov. 2, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Greenlight Capital Re, Ltd. (Nasdaq:GLRE) today announced financial results for the third quarter ending September 30, 2010. Greenlight Re reported a net income of $29.0 million for the third quarter of 2010 compared to net income of $32.3 million for the same period in 2009. The fully diluted earnings per share were $0.78 for the third quarter of 2010, compared to $0.88 for the same period in 2009.
Fully diluted adjusted book value per share was $19.87 as of September 30, 2010, a 14.1% increase from $17.41 per share as of September 30, 2009.
For the nine months ended September 30, 2010, net income was $34.3 million, compared to $152.3 million for the same period in 2009. On a fully diluted basis, net income per share was $0.92 for the nine months ended September 30, 2010, compared to $4.16 for the same period in 2009."We are pleased that our growth continues to come from focused opportunities identified by our underwriting team despite a challenging pricing environment," said David Einhorn, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Greenlight Re. "At the same time, our investment portfolio generated a reasonable return in the quarter." Highlights of Greenlight Re's performance for the third quarter and nine months ended September 30, 2010 include:
- Gross written premiums in the third quarter of 2010 were $151.2 million compared to $66.0 million in the same prior year period, while net earned premiums were $79.4 million during the third quarter of 2010 compared to $56.7 million in the comparable period in 2009.
- The combined ratio for the nine months ended September 30, 2010 was 101.4% compared to 97.8% for the same period last year.
- Net investment income in the third quarter of 2010 was $33.9 million, a return of 3.6% on the investment portfolio. This compares to $32.6 million in the third quarter of 2009, when the Company reported a 4.3% return on its investment portfolio. For the first nine months of 2010, net investment income was $39.7 million compared to $148.7 million during the comparable period in 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV