Enzon Reports Third Quarter 2010 Results
Enzon Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: ENZN) today announced its financial results for the third quarter of 2010. Enzon reported a loss from continuing operations of $8.4 million or $0.14 per diluted share, as compared to a loss of $11.5 million or $0.26 per diluted share for the third quarter of 2009. As of September 30, 2010, the Company’s cash and cash equivalents, short-term investments, and marketable securities totaled $484.6 million.
“Our intensified focus on our pipeline of innovative oncology programs is translating into encouraging results as we advance our clinical programs and continue to share new preclinical data demonstrating the potential of our pipeline,” stated Alex Denner, Chairman of the Board. “In addition, we continue to realize the operating efficiencies associated with the strategic restructuring initiatives enacted at the beginning of the year, which established an operating structure appropriately aligned with our development activities. With a strong cash position, we are well-positioned to execute our objectives focused on developing and advancing a high-value pipeline of oncology programs.”
- The Company continues to enroll patients in its ongoing clinical trials of PEG-SN38, consisting of a Phase II colorectal cancer study, a Phase II metastatic breast cancer and a Phase I pediatric cancer study. Enzon recently announced the publication of preclinical data in the October 1, 2010 issue of Clinical Cancer Research that are supportive of the Phase I PEG-SN38 study in pediatric cancer, demonstrating that PEG-SN38 led to significantly greater tumor regression as compared to CPT-11 (irinotecan) in both in vitro and in vivo models of pediatric neuroblastoma.
- Enrollment continues to progress in the Company’s Phase I clinical trials of the HIF-1 alpha and survivin antagonists in adult patients with solid tumors and lymphomas.
- Enzon recently announced that data from three preclinical mRNA programs have been accepted for poster presentation at the EORTC-NCI-AACR International Symposium on Molecular Targets and Cancer Therapeutics, which is being held November 16-19 in Berlin, Germany.
- Enzon has been invited to present its LNA-based mRNA antagonists at the November EuroTIDES meeting in Barcelona, Spain.
- The Company completed exploration of the possible sale of its PEGINTRON royalty stream and determined that currently available options do not reflect the value of an expanded market for the product that may result from the potential introduction of new combination therapies in the hepatitis C virus market. As a result, the Company has concluded it will not currently pursue the sale of its PEGINTRON royalty stream.
Summary of Financial ResultsResearch and Development The total amount of expense related to Enzon's pipeline programs increased to $14.2 million in the third quarter of 2010, compared to $11.4 million in the third quarter of 2009, partly due to increased investments in its clinical activities for PEG-SN38. The amount attributable to the Company’s PEG-SN38 program for the third quarter of 2010 was $5.5 million as compared to $2.5 million spent in the third quarter of 2009. Preclinical and clinical activities for the mRNA antagonists using LNA technology amounted to $8.2 million in the third quarter of 2010, including $3.0 million of milestone payments, compared to $8.0 million in the third quarter of 2009. During the third quarter of 2009, the Company purchased raw materials used in the manufacturing process of the LNA compounds and manufacture of additional clinical drug supply for the ongoing Phase I studies for the HIF-1 alpha and survivin antagonists. The Company also incurred an expense of $0.5 million during the quarter ended September 30, 2010 related to other research efforts. This compares to $0.9 million spent on these efforts in the comparable period of 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV