West Pharmaceutical Services CEO Discusses Q3 2010 - Earnings Call Transcript
Let me begin with a quick snapshot of our third quarter performance, the highlights of which are summarized on Slide No. 3. I’m pleased to report that consolidated sales were quite strong, coming in at just over $271 million versus 258.9 million for the third quarter of 2009, an increase of 4.8% at actual rates or 8.7% excluding the effects of currency.
The strong increase in sales is particularly noteworthy due to the fact that in the third quarter of 2009, H1N1 vaccine sales were $9.7 million which did not recur in 2010, and we also benefitted from a more favorable euro-dollar exchange rate. In effect, we had to grow other sales at a 12% rate to overcome these two issues and achieve the 5% reported gain.
Our consolidated gross margin showed a slight decline of 0.2 percentage points to 27.5%, which is not unusual given the seasonal impact of planned shutdowns and the costs that we incur for preventative maintenance and the restart of production. Adjusted operating profit grew 7.7% and adjusted diluted earnings per share grew just over 2% to $0.46 per share. Excluding currency effects, adjusted diluted earnings per share were up just under 9%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV