BP is one of the largest energy companies in the world and operates in more than 80 countries. The company produces oil and natural gas, and refines and markets petroleum products.
Between April 23 and June 28, the stock plunged nearly 54.8% because of the costs involved in the massive cleanup of the oil spill disaster in the Gulf of Mexico earlier this year. Since late June, the stock has gained around 51.2%, while the company has been selling assets to pay the costs.
The oil spill weighed heavily on the company's earnings, and BP reported a loss of 91 cents per share in the second quarter. In the third quarter, strong operating performance helped the company to return to profitability.The company has agreed to sell its upstream and pipeline assets in Venezuela and Vietnam to its 50%-owned Russian joint venture TNK-BP for $1.8 billion cash. BP is progressing toward the halfway mark of its goal of divesting $25 billion to $30 billion by the end of 2011, according to a J.P. Morgan report. Of the 40 analysts covering the stock, 25 have buy recommendations, 13 have hold recommendations and two have sell recommendations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV