These stocks failed to fully participate in the energy run-up that took place in October. The S&P 500 Energy Index surged 5.6% for the month, while the S&P 500 Index gained 3.7%.
The stocks featured below recently had forward price-to-earnings ratios of less than 9. In comparison, the S&P 500 has a forward P/E of 14.
Chevron (CVX) is an integrated energy company operating worldwide. It produces, refines, markets and transports crude oil and natural gas. Chevron is also involved in chemical manufacturing, mining operations, power generation and energy services. In early October, the company announced a stock buyback, targeting a repurchase rate of $500 million to $1 billion per quarter. This action signals the company's resolve to exploit the stock's currently discounted price. Chevron has light downstream exposure, backed by a very credible restructuring theme and a high quality, growth-oriented upstream portfolio, according to analysts at J.P. Morgan. The company is expected to report earnings of $8.96 per share for 2010 and $9.36 per share for 2011, up from $5.24 a share in 2009, according to analysts polled by Bloomberg. Of the 25 analysts covering the stock, 19 have buy recommendations and six have hold recommendations. Currently, the stock is trading at an attractive forward price-to-earnings ratio of 8.9. That compares with 11.4 for Exxon Mobil's (XOM), 10.0 for ConocoPhillips (COP) and 14.2 for Occidental Petroleum (OXY).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV