NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks finished higher on Tuesday as Wall Street awaits congressional election results later tonight that most observers expect to show a big victory for the Republican party.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 64 points, or 0.6% to 11,188. The S&P 500 added 9 points, or 0.8%, to close at 1193 and the Nasdaq rose 28 points, or 1.1%, to 2533.
From a sector standpoint, a weakening of the greenback bolstered demand for energy, basic materials and utilities shares.
As voters head to the polling booths, the expectation is that the Republicans will take control of the House of Representatives, ending the control of Congress that Democrats have enjoyed since 2008. Assuming the Senate stays in the hands of the Democrats, the third year of President Barack Obama's term could see plenty of legislative gridlock, a situation that has historically been positive for Corporate America. With no major economic reports on Tuesday, investors were pacing themselves for the Federal Reserve's two-day policy-making meeting which began today. The
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV