GLG Life Tech Corporation Agricultural R&D Program Further Improves Cost And Sustainability Position
VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Nov. 2, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- GLG Life Tech Corporation (Nasdaq:GLGL) (TSX:GLG) ("GLG" or the "Company"), the vertically-integrated leader in the agricultural and commercial development of high quality stevia, announces that its stevia seed propagation program has been successful and that the Company's new Huinong Two ("H2") proprietary stevia variety has produced enough seeds to fulfill the majority of requirements for the next stevia planting season. The new seeds provide GLG a significant cost advantage due to very high levels of rebaudioside A naturally present in the new stevia strain.
The H2 strain contains approximately 66% rebaudioside A in the plant leaf. Rebaudioside A is the sweetest component of the stevia plant and the primary glycoside used to meet the market demand for stevia sweeteners. GLG's H2 strain has yielded 10% higher rebaudioside A content than the previous generation (H1). In addition, the H2 strain also generates 22% more leaf per acre. GLG plans to upgrade its varieties company wide and to utilize its new H2 strain at all 12 of the Company's growing bases in China for the 2011 crop season.
GLG also announces that an H3 generation is on track to be commercially available for its farmers in the 2012/2013 stevia planting season. The GLG agricultural R&D team has already completed the most difficult steps in developing a commercially viable new natural strain. The H3 generation will now enter the final stages of commercial plot testing and seed propagation which is expected to take one to two years to complete. The H3 proprietary strain results show the following improvements in yield:
- 76% rebaudioside A content in the leaf, a 26% increase from the H1 strain
- An estimated 600kg of additional stevia leaf harvested per acre, a 46% increase over H1, which improves land and resource utilization
- An estimated 40% overall leaf cost improvement expected as a direct result of the increased RA content and increased leaf yield
- Greater processing efficiencies expected
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV