Instinet, a global leader in electronic trading and agency-only brokerage services, today announced the launch of its Execution Experts
suite of algorithms in Asia. These next-generation, event-driven trading strategies are currently used by Instinet’s clients in North America and Europe, and have been specifically tailored for the Asia-Pacific markets.
Glenn Lesko, CEO for Instinet in Asia, said the algorithms represent the new breed of intelligent algorithmic trading strategies, which are now necessary in Asia. “Asia-Pacific markets have developed to a point that the simple algorithmic strategies historically employed here are no longer adequate,” he said. “Exchange speeds and liquidity access have improved dramatically, and new venues are competing with primary exchanges across the region. This brings both challenges and opportunities, and our Experts algorithms address them directly.”
According to Bryce Kelly, Head of Asia-Pacific Product Strategy, the Experts are built on a platform that allows the algorithms to dynamically adjust trading activity when market conditions change and engage with markets when signals dictate attractive times to trade. “To exemplify the benefits of this type of behavior, the Experts were very effective in helping our U.S. clients avoid trouble during the ‘Flash Crash’ in May.”
The TEN strategy is an example of the type of innovative solutions that Instinet can now provide with the new Experts platform. TEN represents a novel approach to benchmark trading, empowering traders to select a balance between Arrival, VWAP and Departure price benchmarks.
The Execution Experts suite in Asia-Pacific, which has been customised to address trading challenges specific to the region, consists of ten individual strategies:
- BlockPeg ®: BlockPeg accesses liquidity with minimal impact on the spread by posting orders on the passive side of the market while crossing the spread for user specified quantities.
- Cobra: Cobra stealthily seeks hidden liquidity in both lit and dark venues to minimise signaling and market impact while maximizing shares traded.
- Dynamic Participation (DynaPart): The DynaPart strategy dynamically adjusts participation rates in response to price changes, increasing or decreasing target participation according to the selected trading style. The strategy also allows users to exclude dark and block liquidity from volume calculations.
- TEN: A multi-benchmark strategy, TEN allows users to balance tracking VWAP, Arrival and Departure price by assigning weights to each of the three benchmarks. TEN uses Dynamic Programming optimization to integrate Instinet’s price and volume prediction models into a robust benchmark strategy.
- Nighthawk ®: Nighthawk seeks hidden liquidity, intelligently accessing dark-liquidity sources to execute orders with sophisticated price-modeling and allocation logic. Nighthawk logic is embedded in all strategies in the Experts suite.
- Implementation Shortfall (IS): IS balances opportunity cost and market impact to minimize arrival price shortfall.
- TargetClose: TargetClose minimizes slippage and impact versus the closing price. The TargetClose strategy allows users to trade outsized orders benchmarked to the close that otherwise might create undue pricing impact if sent with a Market on Close order.
- Participation: The Participation strategy trades a targeted percentage of market volume over a specified trading horizon. The Experts Participation utilizes volume prediction and advanced tactics to disguise its intentions.
- VWAP: VWAP targets the volume-weighted average price (VWAP) for a specified trading horizon. The VWAP strategy is best suited to relatively liquid orders that must be completed by a specified end time.
- TWAP: TWAP trades against the time-weighted average price (TWAP), spacing an order evenly across the specified time horizon.
The Execution Experts are available through Instinet’s Newport
3 EMS (Execution Management System), a host of third-party EMS vendors and direct FIX connectivity.
Instinet Incorporated is an electronic trading pioneer, having established the world’s first major electronic trading venue in 1969, one of the first recognized U.S. ECNs in 1997 and the first pan-European MTF in 2007. Through its subsidiaries and affiliates, Instinet operates two distinct business lines: a global network of agency-only brokers that seek to help institutions lower overall trading costs and improve investment performance through the use of innovative electronic trading products, including smart-routing, algorithms, DMA, dark pools and EMS platforms, and also provide sales trading, commission management services and independent research; and the Chi-X
Global businesses, which aim to improve the efficiency of capital markets globally by providing high-performance, low-cost alternative execution venues and the technology required to power them. Instinet is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc. For more information, please visit
©2010, Instinet Incorporated and its subsidiaries. All rights reserved. INSTINET is a registered trademark in the United States and other countries throughout the world. Approved for distribution: in Australia by Instinet Australia Pty Limited (ACN: 131 253 686 AFSL No: 327834) which is regulated by the Australian Securities & Investments Commission; in Canada by Instinet Canada Limited, member IIROC/CIPF; in Europe by Instinet Europe Limited, which is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority; in Hong Kong by Instinet Pacific Limited which is authorized and regulated by the Securities and Futures Commission of Hong Kong; in Japan by Instinet Japan Limited which is a Financial Instrument Dealer under the Financial Instrument and Exchange Law, registered with Kanto Local Financial Bureau (Registration No. 208) and is a member of Japan Securities Dealers Association (JSDA); in Singapore by Instinet Singapore Services Private Limited which is regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore, a trading member of The Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Private Limited and a clearing member of The Central Depository (Pte) Limited; to U.S. institutional clients by Instinet, LLC, member of SIPC.