The Discover (DFS) credit card family is making an aggressive bid to be the choice of holiday shoppers, starting a 2% cash-back program Nov. 15 and letting it run through Dec. 31. The deal doubles the card's usual cash-back option.
There are some limitations for the deal, which can be used with the Discover More, Motiva and Open Road cards: Customers have to sign up on the Web, and the deal is good for up to only $1,000 in purchases.
What do consumers actually get out of that additional 1%? Up to $10.
That might not buy much more than a stocking stuffer for your kids, but it works out to be a nice gift for Discover itself.While the cash-back option cuts into the "swipe" fees card companies charge retailers, analysts say the added sales generated by the perception of a deal can make up for that. The National Retail Federation already expects holiday spending - usually starting Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving -- to rise 2.3% this year, to $447 billion, from last year, even though an estimated 5% of consumers are still dragging around debt from last year's holiday spending and the economy is hardly surging. The option -- already widely hyped -- is sure to be a boon for Discover, which traditionally lags behind such competitors as American Express (AXP), Visa (V) and MasterCard (MA). >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV