Apple cracked the top five rankings for the first time ever during the third quarter of 2010, but dumb-phone stalwart Nokia (NOK) retained its market share lead, followed by Samsung and LG Electronics, according to data released by IDC last week.
The worldwide phone market grew 14.6% this quarter, driven largely by the growing popularity of smartphones. Not surprisingly, Apple and BlackBerry-maker Research in Motion (RIMM) posted the highest growth rates among the top five vendors this quarter.
"As smartphones vendors move, so does the market," IDC senior analyst Kevin Restivo told TheStreet. "Those smartphone makers that are generating unit growth are really pushing the market forward."As Apple and RIM have developed distinct products, handset competitors -- and particularly those with Android-based operating systems -- must come up with new ways to differentiate their smartphones if they want to become market leaders going forward, said Restivo. Sony (SNE) Ericsson, despite growing its market share in Japan at the expense of Apple, missed the top 5 list for the first time since IDC started tracking mobile phone shipments. Read on for snapshots of the world's top mobile phone vendors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV