NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- For market-watchers, the last week of October was a bit like waiting for a tornado in Kansas. You know that a twister is about to touch down on a plain... but you don't know where or when.
The quietude is entirely due to three items: (a) mid-term elections on Tuesday, Nov. 2, (b) Federal Reserve quantitative easing (QE) policy announcement on Nov. 3, (c) lame duck Congress tax policy prior to 2011. The markets expect Republicans to win the House of Representatives and hope the Fed will deliver "enough" QE to help the economy. Anything less may be an excuse for profit-takers.
The wild card is tax policy. I believe that the White House has only priced in the Administration's party line stance. Yet the greater likelihood is a willingness to temporarily extend the Bush tax cuts in full or at least an Obama olive branch to compromise more on taxation. I could be wrong. Yet a better tax scenario is likely to boost risk assets dramatically into the close of the season.
So where should that sidelined cash go? You have to look at the momentum that technology stocks are garnering in the final quarter of 2010. Whereas the popular Dow and S&P 500 benchmarks have been unwilling to set new 52-week highs, most Tech ETFs have already surpassed their April peaks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV