Ambac in Bankruptcy Talks
The company warned the board that it is declining to make an interest payment on the company's debt due November 15. As of June 30, 2010, Ambac had debt of $1,622 million.
"This is not a big surprise. It is something that they have been warning about for some time and now it is happening," said Jim Ryan, a senior analyst at Morningstar. "They file bankruptcy and the Wisconsin will take over the operations."
Wisconsin is where Ambac's insurance operations are domiciled.Ambac had been trying to raise capital, but was unsuccessful. Earlier this year Moody's put out a note saying that Ambac's creditors -- which include Centerbridge Partners, Halcyon Capital Management, Mangrove Partners and Camden Asset Management -- are likely to back the company similar to how the creditors backed CIT's (CIT)bankruptcy arrangements. "The holding company is likely to file bankruptcy and the Wisconsin insurance commissioner will take over. The remaining policies in the subsidiary would go into run off, provided they can get work out on their loans," Ryan said. Earlier this year, TheStreet explored what form a prepackaged bankruptcy may take in case Ambac explored that option. --Written by Maria Woehr in New York.
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Maria Woehr. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/newsgirlmw. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV